- Canada Day fireworks, games, prizes, cake and more.
- The event happens annually on July 1st Canada Day.
- The Discovery Centre Board through Municipality of Central Manitoulin proudly organize and fund the Canada Day events. Additional Canada Day grant funding is provided by the Government of Canada.
Discovery Centre in Providence Bay
The Discovery Centre is a unique, interactive space that promotes awareness of the rich natural and cultural heritage of Providence Bay.
The Centre is open in the summer months of July and August, 7 days a week from 10 am to 6 pm. Located at the edge of the famous two-kilometre-long Providence Bay Beach.
Every Wednesday in July and August the Discovery Centre hosts special events. Past events have included:
- Making Rock Art
- History Walks
- Stream Detective
- Rock and Minerals Identification
- I-Spy and Treasure Hunts
- Water Games
Stay up to date by viewing our events calendar.
- Augmented Reality Sandbox. Adjust to the elevation levels of the sand and water in real-time!
- Beach dunes
- European settlement history
- Geology and fossils
- Indigenous history
- Invasive species and lake level awareness
- Lake Huron
- Live Animal exhibits - Our terrariums host live frogs, snakes, painted turtles and more.
- Mindemoya River
- Mounted fish, stuffed animals and pelts native to the area.
- Self directed learning displays
- Upland exhibits
- Spring - Watch spawning rainbow trout come up the river.
- Fall - Watch spawning coho, chinook and pink salmon come up the river.
- The fish viewing platform is located just east of the Discovery Centre on the Mindemoya River. The Mindemoya River runs from Lake Mindemoya to Lake Huron in Providence Bay.
- The platform construction was in partnership with Manitoulin Streams Improvement Association
- The indoor Discovery Centre washrooms are open May Long Weekend to September Long Weekend.
- The change house and washrooms located west of the Discovery Centre is open May Long Weekend to Thanksgiving Weekend.
- The tenant restaurant at the Discovery Centre is called Huron Island Time. The restaurant is open in the summer season for Jamaican food and Caribbean food.
- They also have ice cream as a treat when strolling along the beach and boardwalk.
- The restaurant and centre host the Sunset Music Series. This outdoor concert lineup features some talented local and travelling musicians.
The Sunset Music Series is an outdoor concert lineup that features some talented local and travelling musicians. The series takes place in the summer season of July and August.
Education and Exhibits
The Discovery Centre exhibits are curated and maintained through the Discovery Centre Board. The staff member for the board is Marcus Mohr, Community Development and Outreach Coordinator. For inquiries email Marcus or call 705-377-5726.
The public washrooms are maintained by the Municipal Maintenance Department. For inquiries email the Parks Recreation and Maintenance Department or call 705-377-5726.
Contact Huron Island Time Restaurant at (705) 377-4165 or email email@example.com.