As of June 1, 2023 the Municipality of Central Manitoulin will be moving to full-export of waste. This means that garbage deposited curbside as well as garbage taken to either the Big Lake Transfer Station or the Providence Bay site will now be deposited in bins and hauled to the Dodge Landfill in Espanola, rather than being deposited into our Municipally owned and operated site.
The Municipality wishes to assure residents that curbside and depot services will continue, and the level of service in 2023 will remain consistent with what is currently offered. However, some program changes will be necessary to manage the upcoming shift to full export.
As of June 1st, 2023 the following changes will be implemented:
- Bag limits for curbside pick-up.
- Implementation of a bag tag system.
- Temporary suspension of acceptance of large loads of construction & demolition waste (11+ cubic yards or more will no longer accepted).
- Increases to tipping fees for some items such as small loads of construction and demolition waste, clean brush & wood, and bulky items.
- Mandatory recycling and the mandatory use of clear bags continue to be in effect. Improperly separated loads or bags may be rejected. No Bag tags are required for recyclables.
- Bags of recyclables do not require a bag tag.
For the schedule of new tipping fees effective June 1st, 2023, please visit: www.centralmanitoulin.ca/central-manitoulin/waste-recycling/landfill