This is a full-time staff position that will be split between the Township of Billings (office in Kagawong) and The Municipality of Central Manitoulin (office in Mindemoya)
Salary Range: $39,301 - $48,215
- Reporting to the respective CAO/Clerks of the respective municipalities.
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
- The implementation of the action items identified in the Community Energy and Emissions Plans (CEEP)s for the Municipality of Central Manitoulin and for the Township of Billings.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of municipal operational and institutional changes, suited to each municipality, that will lead to operational savings and the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions.
- Assist in providing a climate change mitigation perspective in the development of asset management strategies for each municipality.
- Assist in providing recommendations during the budgeting process for climate change mitigation, green house gas reduction process and activities.
- While the focus is on climate change mitigation, the role also includes assisting the municipalities in climate change adaptation.
- Assist the municipalities in the preparation for, and implementation of, action items identified in the CEEP, through capacity-building exercises.
- Conduct research and analysis for the purpose of implementing municipal greenhouse gas emissions reduction initiatives.
- Develop and promote the adoption of municipal operational and institutional changes that will ensure long term reductions in greenhouse gas emissions for each municipality.
- The Climate Implementation Coordinator may also be responsible for capacity-building and knowledge-sharing activities and deliverables within each broader community as required.
- Research and identify energy saving projects for the municipalities.
- Other duties as assigned by the respective CAO/Clerks.
- Usual hours of work are Monday to Friday, for a 35-hour work week – start and end times arranged with each municipality.
- Approved overtime is normally compensated as time in lieu.
- Additional hours will result from evening attendance at Committee, Council and public meetings.
- Usual public office conditions with the expectation of some local travel:
- To municipal facilities,
- For meetings with stakeholders,
- For developing relationships with other municipalities, and supporting partners and networks.
- NOTE: As travel may be required, it is essential that the successful candidate have a valid driver’s license and a reliable form of transportation.
- CAO/Clerk (of the respective Municipalities)
- Receives guidance and direction.
- Municipal Coordinator (Central Manitoulin) & Municipal Coordinator/EDO (Billings)
- Receives guidance and direction. Works closely with these roles in ensuring a “climate lens” is applied to municipal capital projects and initiatives.
- Climate Action Committees (CACs).
- Acts as staff resource person for the committee and liaison between the CAC and the CAO/other staff, as appropriate.
- The Public
- Must be tactful in dealing with the public.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Knowledge and experience in the areas of greenhouse gas emissions reductions, as well as climate change mitigation and adaptation methodologies and strategies.
- Demonstrated understanding of climate change issues and sustainable development within the context of municipal government.
- A solid understanding of the municipal mandate, municipal processes/procedures, and the municipal relationship with the community/public, senior levels of government, and third-party organizations.
- Strong critical thinking skills.
- Strong research and analytical skills.
- Ability to manage competing timelines.
- Strong writing, communication, networking, and consultation skills.
- Good knowledge of computer software (Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and information management tools and methods.
- Solid understanding of the planning process in Ontario, including stakeholder communication and engagement.
- Project management experience an asset.
To apply please send your resume to Kathy McDonald by email at email@example.com by Friday December 10th, 2021 @ noon.